Hieu Truong, MD
Musculoskeletal and Nuclear Radiology
Medical School: University of California San Francisco – San Francisco, CA
Internal Medicine: UCLA Medical Center – Los Angeles, CA
Internal Medicine: St. Mary Medical Center – Long Beach, CA
Diagnostic Radiology: UCLA Medical Center– Chief Resident – Los Angeles, CA
MRI Musculoskeletal Fellowship: University of Southern California – Emphasis on Neuroradiology – Los Angeles, CA
PET-CT and Nuclear Medicine Fellowship: UCLA Medical Center – Los Angeles, CA
American Board of Radiology
Publications & Presentations
- MRI Findings in Biceps Tendon Tears
Clinical review of MRI findings in tears and ruptures of the long head of the biceps tendon.
- Femoral Neck Fractures
Review article on diagnosis, classification, and treatment of femoral neck fractures. May 2003, eMedicine Journal.
- Vascular Embolic Agents
Review of existing embolic agents used in interventional procedures, and identifying new agents soon to be released.
- Research in Otolaryngology,UCSF
Investigated the feasibility of modifying the current House-Brackmann facial nerve grading system to produce a more clinically relevant classification scheme.
- Magnetic Resonance Science Center, UCSF
Investigated the utility of Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy (MRS) in the detection of brain tumors, especially when used in conjunction with Positron Emission Tomograp
- (PET) and MRI. Center for the Neurobiology of Learning and Memory, UC Irvine Characterized the role of the nucleus of the solitary tract in the modulation of learning and memory.
- Skripkus U, Truong H, Wang E, Nguyen K, Suh R, Zucker M, Lufkin R. Variance between Resident and Attending Readings of Nightcall Coverage: A Review of 15,976 Cases. Presented at American Society of Emergency Radiology (ASER) 14111 Annual Scientific Meeting, Oct 2003.
- Truong HT and Gentili A. Femoral Neck Fractures. eMedicine Journal, May 2003.
- Truong HT, Masih S, Huang J, Gentili A. MR Imaging in Biceps Tendon Tears. Computer exhibit at ARRS Annual Meeting, 2003.
- Margolis DJ, Truong HT, Gentry M, Kaplan A, Suh R. Use of Handheld Computers for Assurance of Residency Accreditation and Improved Resident Productivity. RSNA infoRAD exhibit, Nov 2002.
- GI Radiology-Pathology Conference
Distinctions & Awards
- Physician of Excellence 2018
Orange Coast Magazine
- Chief Resident, UCLA Department of Radiological Sciences
- Outstanding Graduating Senior Resident Award, UCLA Department of Radiology
- Introduction to Research Award sponsored by Radiological Society ofNorth America (RSNA), American Roentgen Ray Society (ARRS), and Association of University Radiologists (AUR).
- UCSF Dean’s Summer Research Fellowship
- University of California Regents’ Scholarship (most prestigious undergraduate scholarship in UC system). Awarded this scholarship for both UCLA and UC Irvine.
- Jane Unzelman Scholarship for recognition of academic excellence and service to the School and community, UC Irvine
- Biological Sciences Scholastic Honor Society, UC Irvine
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Dean’s Academic Achievement and Service Award, UC Irvine
- Dean’s Honors List, all academic terms, UC Irvine
- Robert C. Byrd Scholarship
- Elks National Foundation First Place Regional Scholarship
- Elks Foundation National Allocated Scholarship
- Daughters of the American Revolution Good Citizen Scholarship
- Orange County Centennial Scholarship
- Greater Santa Ana Chamber of Commerce Scholarship
- UNISYS Scholarship
Dr. Hieu Truong loves nature and relishes in it by traveling and using photography. Other interests of his include physical fitness, sports, high fidelity audio and raising tropical fish.