Hieu Truong, MD
Musculoskeletal and Nuclear Radiology
Medical School: University of California San Francisco – San Francisco, CA
Internal Medicine: UCLA Medical Center – Los Angeles, CA
Internal Medicine: St. Mary Medical Center – Long Beach, CA
Diagnostic Radiology: UCLA Medical Center– Chief Resident – Los Angeles, CA
MRI Musculoskeletal Fellowship: University of Southern California – Emphasis on Neuroradiology – Los Angeles, CA
PET-CT and Nuclear Medicine Fellowship: UCLA Medical Center – Los Angeles, CA
American Board of Radiology
Publications & Presentations
- MRI Findings in Biceps Tendon Tears
Clinical review of MRI findings in tears and ruptures of the long head of the biceps tendon.
- Femoral Neck Fractures
Review article on diagnosis, classification, and treatment of femoral neck fractures. May 2003, eMedicine Journal.
- Vascular Embolic Agents
Review of existing embolic agents used in interventional procedures, and identifying new agents soon to be released.
- Research in Otolaryngology,UCSF
Investigated the feasibility of modifying the current House-Brackmann facial nerve grading system to produce a more clinically relevant classification scheme.
- Magnetic Resonance Science Center, UCSF
Investigated the utility of Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy (MRS) in the detection of brain tumors, especially when used in conjunction with Positron Emission Tomography
- Center for the Neurobiology of Learning and Memory, UC Irvine Characterized the role of the nucleus of the solitary tract in the modulation of learning and memory.
- Skripkus U, Truong H, Wang E, Nguyen K, Suh R, Zucker M, Lufkin R. Variance between Resident and Attending Readings of Nightcall Coverage: A Review of 15,976 Cases. Presented at American Society of Emergency Radiology (ASER) 14111 Annual Scientific Meeting, Oct 2003.
- Truong HT and Gentili A. Femoral Neck Fractures. eMedicine Journal, May 2003.
- Truong HT, Masih S, Huang J, Gentili A. MR Imaging in Biceps Tendon Tears. Computer exhibit at ARRS Annual Meeting, 2003.
- Margolis DJ, Truong HT, Gentry M, Kaplan A, Suh R. Use of Handheld Computers for Assurance of Residency Accreditation and Improved Resident Productivity. RSNA infoRAD exhibit, Nov 2002.
Distinctions & Awards
- Physician of Excellence 2018-2023 Orange Coast Magazine
- Vice Chairman Department of Radiology – St . Joseph Hospital
- CFO Moran Rowen & Dorsey Inc.
- Director of Nuclear Medicine – St. Joseph Hospital
- Chief Resident, UCLA Department of Radiological Sciences
- Outstanding Graduating Senior Resident Award, UCLA Department of Radiology
- Bachelor of Science with highest honor (Summa Cum Laude) and Phi Betta Kappa UC Irvine
- University of California Regents’ Scholarship to UCLA and UC Irvine
- Introduction to Research Award sponsored by RSNA, AARS, and AUR
- UCSF Dean’s Summer Research Fellowship
- Jane Unzelman Scholarship for recognition of academic excellence and service to the School and community, UC Irvine
- Biological Sciences Scholastic Honor Society, UC Irvine
- Dean’s Academic Achievement and Service Award, UC Irvine
- Dean’s Honors List, all academic terms, UC Irvine
- University of California Alumni Scholarship to UC Berkeley
- Robert C. Byrd Scholarship
- Elks National Foundation First Place Regional Scholarship
- Elks Foundation National Allocated Scholarship
- Daughters of the American Revolution Good Citizen Scholarship
- Orange County Centennial Scholarship
- Greater Santa Ana Chamber of Commerce Scholarship
- UNISYS Scholarship
Dr. Hieu Truong has been with MRD since 2004 and serves as a staff radiologist and is on the MRD Board of Directors. When not working, Dr. Truong loves spending time and exploring the world with his wife and two girls.